Tuesday, August 26, 2008

What the hell?


Possum here, possum there, possum everywhere!

I believe in fate, destiny. Everything happens for a reason. God, a higher power and what not. But this is just strange.

About a month ago I was leaving my house and noticed a neighbor in the street just outside of my house. She had a box and was walking over to a heap of dark fur. Low and behold there was an opposum on the road. I asked her what she was doing and she pointed at it and said "babies!" I got closer and sure enough there were little pink babies squirming around in the fur. Aww, babies. I know possum (round her in the south we take off the "O" in Opposum) are quite ugly but all babies are cute. She picked up the dead critter and put it into a box and took it to a vets office. But I was so puzzled. How could momma possum be dead and the babies were still alive? And there was no blood? Did she give birth? Was she hit by a car and only a small hole was made in her belly?

So for the next week I told several people about this and most of them were horrified at the thought of pink babies crawling around on their mother. I googled Opossum. There it was, possum are marsupials. They carry their babies in a pouch. That explains it.

But it didn't answer the question of what happened to the babies. Did they survive? Did someone take them in and bottle feed them. Were they going to be set free back into the wild? Part of me didn't want to know the answer. And a part of me was mad at the person who hit and killed the mom. Damn that urban sprawl! Damn those developers who built this neighborhood on top of the possums land.

Two days later I was driving home with some friends in the car late at night down a dark road. We were all laughing and talking when Diddums (not his real name) screamed "Watch out!!!" I slammed on my breaks and came to a complete stop. I almost had a heart attack. There before me was another freakin' possum! It was just sitting in the middle of the road with its beady little eyes staring at my headlights. And it wouldn't move! "All right little guy get the hell outta my way!" Nope. So I drove around it. I thought only bunnies froze in the face of fear?

Third time is a charm.
Yesterday I notice Gus (our ferocious beast of a dog) didn't want to go outside. He would get to the doorway and stop. Turn around and come back in only to want to go outside two minutes later. After 15 minutes of this I decided maybe my silly dog had a reason for not wanting to go outside and I should just trust his instincts. I looked around the backyard. Hmm? Nothin'. Time to call for backup. Husband. T walks outside and directly next to the back door leaning up against the house is the cover to our hot tub. He pulls it back quickly and screams! Ahhhhh! I hear this hissing sound. He yells "POSSUM!!!" Wouldn't you know it another freaking possum!

How can one person have three encounters with possum in one month? I mean how many have you had in your whole life? None right? This possum wouldn't leave our house. It just hung out next to the door for hours. I know we are cool and all but go away, my dog needs to use our backyard as a bathroom! How do they go from being cute pink babies to ugly mean bitches? Although this particular possum was a dude, I saw its jewels. Possum are the Tom Petty of animals. If he were an actor he'd be Christopher Walkin. Scary! Look at those teeth? Ugh, nasty.
So what does Karma have to do with my possum encounter? What is my higher power trying to tell me? I'm afraid if I don't have answers soon another one will bless me with its presence and this time I'm calling for better backup that is armed and dangerous!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've seen a few in my life up here in Dirty Jerzee. They are scary because of those teeth but they are still critters in the while, just trying to get by without being flattened by some idiot in his new 350z with the Johas Brothers blasting. Just imagine if that was the way you died! NO DIGNITY!
Anyway, I trust you won't be trying to kill it or anything. You're one of my only animal loving friends. Maybe it is haunting you because you didn't notice the babies in the street. Maybe it is saying, Hey - Jen, you're too wrapped up in your own life and you almost missed opportunity to save lives! WAKE UP! SMELL THE POSSOM!!

Anonymous said...

thanks for the reminder of that image i finally put out of my mind of the dead mama possum and her live babies in a box JEN.

Christie O. said...

OH BOY! that's crazy! you're right -- it's rare for me to see them, but all of a sudden you're surrounded by them. what is the universe trying to say? you should see if possom is in the chinese calendar or something!

Mozi Esme said...

Stupid thing was playing dead right in the middle of the road! Living in the northwest for quite a few years, I have seen way more than my fair share of dead possums on the road. Never any close and personal encounters like you, though. Maybe you've met your quota for a lifetime?!

How long has it been since you've had a hamburger? Welcome to the dark side!